From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Growing Sustainability at Beirut Design Week 2016 (Video)
Growing Sustainably is a documentary film made during Beirut Design Week 2016. It focuses on four initiatives that took place over the course of that year. Each project represents a certain aspect of sustainability.
- The Beirut Makers, a collective of over a dozen designers and makers, are featured as an example of economic sustainability for the Lebanese design industry.
- TheOtherDada, an architectural studio, represents the importance of environmental sustainability through their Beirut River 2.0 installation.
- The Alonsor project shows the value of design in cultural sustainability, where the aesthetics of African diaspora become a tool for engagement.
- The Beirut Arab University students, along with visiting professor Ana Serrano, look into sustaining heritage with their immersive underground installation that relives the history of Karantina. It was there that KED, a previously abandoned factory since the Lebanese Civil War (197501990), became the first Beirut Design Week Central hub.
Beirut Design Week is produced by MENA Design Research Center, in which Doreen Toutikian serves as Co-Founder and Director.
Recent Posts by Jadaliyya Reports
- GCHR Report: Oman - Internal Security Service Continues Systematic Targeting of Human Rights Defenders and Internet Activists Apr 26 2017
- Berkeley Event--6 Days, 50 Years: 1967 and the Politics of Time (28 April 2017) Apr 25 2017
- GCHR Report: Saudi Arabia - Human Rights Defender Mohammed Abdullah Al-Otaibi Calls On The International Community To Protect Him Apr 24 2017
- Suppressing Dissent and Sustaining Impunity: Torture in Bahrain 2015-2016 Apr 18 2017
About the Photography Page
The photography page aims to provide a space for reflection on photography in its various forms and uses in the Middle East. We showcase the work of photographers active in the region and cultivate critical thinking about photographic practices, representations, and history. The page publishes photo essays, articles, interviews, reviews and more. It also provides information on photographic archives, agencies, and institutions, exhibits, events, and publications.